Tuesday, June 4, 2019

Still smober

    Still smoke free. It's been about five years eight months. All of the strain of quitting has vanished. And I've come to accept quitting. Now I'm sixty, but I set out at age 54 to see if I could change. I struggled for quite a while--never smoking, but I thought I'd lost my mind.
Now that smoking is no longer fresh in my mind, I realize that there are all sorts of quit help. I just dove in as fast as I could without thinking about what would make it easier. Accepting quitting makes it easy, but not all of us (about 2/3's who try) do not have the luxury of a positive attitude and a resolute mindset. Joining an online support group becomeanEx.org helped me change my thinking. I joined about 2 years 10 months in. And I'd made progress--certainly was happier than at the start of my quit.
    At Ex I had a chance to hear from all kinds of quitters, to see support in action (newcomers coming nearly every day), and to read about nicotine addiction. I also came to understand how NRT helps some people, not others, and that Chantx and other drugs also help some.
   Today, unlike 20, 30 years ago, support has expanded a great deal.
I wonder if todays quitters realize how wide the support and aids net is?
Today, I'm grateful I'm still smober and able to help others from time to time get through the early part of a quit.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for letting me know of your journal. it was very informative. I plan to be just like you when im 60 .I am 55 now thanks again for your help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You bet. Quitting is possible for each of us. Keep working your quit.

    ReplyDelete